Friday, February 25, 2011

Pleasant Surprise

Most people in this hobby have sold minis at one point or another, and probably on eBay. If you haven't don't worry. I have done it enough for all of us. Normally when you sell something it is kind of out-of-mind after the transaction is tendered.

Followers of the blog might recall I took a bombastic deviation into Black Templar a little while back. I was young and I needed the mo-...we wait that was something else. Anyway, I got better, and in order to fund my next project I put the minis I had built up on eBay, as I am want to do. They sold, as they do, and I thought that was the end of that. However after I shipped the neophytes I had built, I got an email from the buyer telling me how much he enjoyed the way I built them.

I thought it was cool the minis could be appreciated, and, as I am a painted model junkie, responded with a, "Thanks. If you get them painted send me some pics." Thought that would be the end of it.

So this week I get an email pointing me here with a note saying something to the effect of, "Hey I painted them, check them out." I can say that even at my most enthusiastic, I never expected these minis to look this cool when I was building them. G.N.O.M.E. did an amazing job with them. His whole project is awesome. You should read about it in the blog. Basically he is taking reclaimed models from auctions and stuff and breathing new life into them with some great looking brush work. I think it is like recycling, or carbon foot print or something, but like, for minis.

I take zero credit for G.N.O.M.E.S. minis. A model converted and primed black, no matter how cool, is just a piece of black plastic or metal. Instead, what I will take is pride in the fact that something I did inspired someone else to keep it going. It is neat to think that some kernel of the vision I had was contagious enough to spread to someone I didn't know, and in a very impersonal internet sale. It made my week for sure. And apparently some other people liked it to.

Killer work G.N.O.M.E, props!

Thanks for reading,
T

No comments:

Post a Comment