Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Assault on Assault on Black Reach Part 2

Had a game last night so I didn't have a lot of time to paint. Not that I am complaining as it was a lot of fun. I played my friend Mike Camin's Dark Eldar to a draw, which is always cool. Even cooler, he likes the Kokanee which I had had in my fridge from someone else bringing it over, and I think it tastes how I imagine horse piss would taste...if the horse drank beer I guess. So, anyway, win-win. Good times had and bad beer gone.

As I was winding the night down I thought I would get a little brush work in on the AoBR project. First off I based the terminators with Dheneb Stone. I should preface this with the fact that I chose to do the terminators first because I thought they would be the biggest pain in the butt. But, the last time I did Deathwing terminators the foundation line didn't exist, so I was pleasantly surprised. With just a few thinned coats Dheneb Stone covered like a dream, and I suddenly found myself with more time to paint then I thought I would have.
From Mars' Project Blog

As I was poking around the internet I saw a lot of people use Dheneb Stone as the the bone color and shade it with gray, keeping it kind of cold. While I liked the look, I decided I preferred the older look, with the warmer, yellowish-bone. In order to warm it up quickly I washed the models with Gryphonne Sepia.
From Mars' Project Blog

I should have thinned the wash a little, as I ended up with some splotches and pooling, but it is still going to manageable to paint over or blend out. I was amazed to see that what I assumed would be the hardest part of the AoBR project had taken me like an hour. Busting out the hair dryer I helped the wash drying along as it was getting kind of late and I wanted to get my last shading wash in before bed.

Once they were dry I "lined in" the deepest recesses of the model with Ogryn Flesh from the wash line. Normally I will just thin a normal paint like Scorched Brown for this kind of shading, but since I was working with such a light color I decided to give the wash a try instead. I am not entirely sold, but I am going to reserve judgement until I start bringing up the bone.
From Mars' Project Blog


Thanks for reading,
T

2 comments:

  1. I think I was the offending person who brought kokanee, if I recall. I will be sure to bring better beer next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! your bring what you want man. Free beer is free beer!

    And you should come over again soon. Free beer or not.

    ReplyDelete