Sunday, January 19, 2014

Refresh: Wave Serpent

I was supposed to be working on these:

But, and brace yourself because I am sure I am gonna shock the world, my wave serpents have been pretty clutch the last few games I have used them in. That being said, the paint job on the model was good, but I had a few ideas about how I might like them to be. I was explaining to my wife how I was going to paint the next one I got (I only have 2, which is normally plenty.) and she was humoring me by listening. But when I got up this morning, I really wanted to see my idea realized. So I grabbed one of the wave serpents I had and started touching it up. I didn't think to snap a pic until I was almost done with the first black part, but it started out looking like this:

And ended up looking like this:

In all, I think it turned out pretty well. I will likely touch up my other one sometime when I feel like painting, but not painting the thing I should be painting.

What do you think? Better, worse?

Thanks for reading,
T

7 comments:

  1. Better. And hell yeah those things do work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya Winterman, they were pretty rock star in our game. Glad you like the new look. It is encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, absolutely love all your Eldar. Especially your seers. I'm working on Alaitoc Eldar myself at the moment, Would you mind telling what colours/how you did your wraith bone please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Adam, thanks for all the kind words! I hope you are having a good time with your Alaitoc?

    As for the wraithbone, I have been messing with a couple of different recipes. So far the one I have liked the best (Which is the one you see on the seers.) is Ushtabi Bone base, then a liberal wash, a bathing really, of Seraphim Sepia. Once that is dry I reclaim the he areas where the light hits with Ushtabi Bone again, then highlight with Screaming Skull, and finally Screaming Skull and White Scar mix for the highest points. That being said, that build takes a lot of thin coats, and while the look is rewarding, it isn't very practical for painting a lot of guys at the speed with which I paint.

    So my quick and dirty wraithbone recipe (As seen on the test Storm Guardian.) is Zandari Dust base. Shade in only the recesses with Seraphim Sepia, layer the raised areas and where the light hits Ustabi Bone, first highlight Screaming Skull, and then at the highest points and the corners use Flayed One Flesh.

    Hope that helps Adam, please, please, please send me some pics of your Alaitoc! I love seeing other people's take on them, and I just love seeing other people's stuff period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your quick and very detailed reply Mars :) I will defo upload some pics for you. My Wraithbone recipe is very similar, except I start with Rakarth flesh, then vallejo bone white base, wash with seraphim sepia, hit again with vallejo bone white, then highlight with pallid wych flesh, then white.

    I do really like the look of yours and was hoping for something more practical for a whole army. I might give the dirty/quick a whirl on a guardian/test mini. I'm not sure If my bone is to bright/high contrast to the blue. Can't wait to see more of your Alaitoc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not super familiar with that Vallejo color, but I have often thought about using Rakarth Flesh as a base. Can't wait to see pics!

      Delete